Chinese mobile manufacturer UMI launched it’s flagship device, the UMI X2 in India in February’13. After a long wait, customers have started receiving shipments of the phone. As the first devices reach the hands of users, UMI has posted on it’s official Facebook page about the release of a delivery and dispatch list with tracking numbers to appease the anxiety of the others a little.
UMI’s run in India with it’s flagship handset UMI X2 has been a very bumpy one.
- The official launch of the UMI X2 was during the last week of February and UMI started accepting orders on the company’s website. The first handset was reportedly shipped on May 30, a good 3 months later. With such a protracted waiting time, annoyed customers began cancelling their bookings. Adding fuel to the fire, the price of the device was hiked by a couple of thousands from the launch price of INR 14,000 on May 10, 2013.
- Meanwhile, another rumor popped up that the 1.5 GHz MT6589T processor listed as part of the UMI X2′s specifications was present only in the phones shipping to UMI’s Chinese patrons and that the rest were being supplied with MT6589 processors clocked at 1.2 GHz. This was later addressed and said to be false through a post on the company’s official Facebook page on June 2.
- After further waiting, there was another post by the company on June 11 that deliveries of the UMI X2 were going to be initiated soon and will be handed out in India through AndroidGuruz with a 100% warranty with refund facility within a period of 90 days.
- Today, a post has appeared on the Facebook page saying that the dispatch list will be published but even if this happens, customers cannot rest assured until they have the phone in their hands as such an announcement was sent out last month saying ‘DHL Docket numbers will be sent to the customers via SMS/Email’ which certainly did not see the light of the day.
- In the event that every other pending device gets delivered without further ado, it still won’t be a happy ending for UMI Mobiles as far as it’s Indian chapter is concerned. From what can be gleaned from the Facebook page, dissatisfactory is what every customer would be saying if they were to be asked for feedback. This is just the beginning of the story, as how UMI fares on grounds of after-sales customer support remains to be seen. Hopefully they can bolster that area and start re-building a positive brand image.